Hi

Hi, Thanks for dropping by.

My name is Eileen but to friends in the card making world I'm known as 'ikki'. (which is pronounced I-KEY) From where or how this came about I'm not sure - it just got shorten from my original craft name of Ikemo by various friends along my crafting way! I started crafting whilst recouperating from an accident, and from my first attempts with peeloffs and paint - I was hooked! Now my passion is my BUG! and now BEADING!

In the Cupboard you will find ideas, news, tips and techniques to help you get more from this fab little machine. So come in - join the fun and Cuttle with me!


Thursday 17 December 2009

Tippy Thursday - Ribbon

Be it wide; thin; plain; striped; polka dot; satin or whatever, ribbon plays a big part in our crafting. BUT, it can become a box of tangled mess!

So how to store? I have seen boxes and bags with holes round the sides, so that the ribbon can poke through and  be pulled out! But I think you  will still get tangles - am I wrong? Tell me please! Or if you have a better storage system, again I'd love to know and so would others!

For myself I have a very simple storage for ribbon, not perfect (I still get tangles at times) but it works reasonably well for me. Self sealing sandwich bags - cheap and cheerful (50 for £1 at tool box). You can see at a glance what you have without having to open the bag. I have a bag for each colourway and they sit in a row in a storage box. It works okay if you remember to re-seal the bag!

I know a lot of crafters have a Bow Folder, they do work and tie very neat bows, but as anyone made their own? I have set a task for my dear hubby, something to do during the cricket lunch break!!!  Hopefully, fingers crossed, I will have one to show you soon.....and some neat bows!

Talking of tangles reminds me that I heard a great tip on C&C from Sheena Douglas the other week.  If your ribbon has  kinks or  folds that need ironing, you don't need an iron if you have hair straighteners!  I have tried this and it's much quicker than getting the ironing board out and waiting for the iron to warm up.  Anyway when the boards up I have guilt pangs knowing I should really be sorting out the ironing basket not ironing ribbon! 

Another tip.  If you have a down ribbon and a cross ribbon and want to add a bow over the crossing ribbons - you can use invisible thread to  pull two ribbons together.  Knot the thread, make a bow and add over the knot.  Neat.

 Love to hear your ideas and tips on ribbon. 

Now I'm working on using magnetic mats - back very soon with my results and some pics.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya, I cut strips of card about 1 1/2" wide x@7 or 8" long and wrap ribbon around the card keeping the same types of colours together. I secure woth a paper clip and store the whole lot in a basket. Works for me!! ALison59, docrafts x

Nanabugaboo said...

I have a men's pants hanger that has four rods on it. You can slide the ribbon spools on the rods and then reconnet them I use the ponytail holders from the dollar store to stretch areound the roll so it won;t unwind on the rod. Everything is in sight and it adds a pretty touch to the room.

Merry said...

Love the tip about the straightening iron...I will be using that in future.

I received a prize of some ribbons and they arrived in their own zip lock bags. Thought this was such a wonderful idea that I sat last week and put my own ribbons into their own individual bags. I have my fingers crossed for less tangles.